An insight into Victorian life. The house has elaborately decorated rooms, stables and an art collection. See the service wing with kitchen and laundries showing Victorian life below stairs. The house was originally adapted from a medieval Benedictine monastery. At one time the house and gardens were amongst the largest and most opulent in Jacobean England.
The parkland was designed by “Capability” Brown. There are fine formal Victorian gardens in process of being restored to their former glory. Walled organic kitchen garden stocked to match the 1800’s plants. The River Cam is dammed to provide artificial lake. There are two cafes and a playground. Extensive grassed areas idea for family activities. Kites are welcome. Sling Loan on request.
Getting there: Bus – Burton/Four Counties 59, Stansted Transit 301 from Audley End railway station stopping in Saffron Walden. By Car 1 mile W of Saffron Walden on B1383 (M11 exit 8 or 10).